The Market of San Francisco
Velez’s new gastro market and cultural space, threw its doors open in September 2018. Housed in a former food market, it’s an open, high-ceilinged area that’s been stylishly and sympathetically renovated.
What is the Mercado de San Francisco?
It’s a space for people to spend time in and enjoy – whether it be for a coffee and cake, tapas, a meal, drinks, craft shopping or learning.
Up front there are casual tapas eateries, a formal dining restaurant, a wine bar and a craft beer bar. To the rear there are artisan shops – a graphic designer, furniture restorer, glass artist and an art gallery – and a coffee shop and small children’s play area.
There are also lecture spaces for events and workshops, with everything from Mini Master Chef to printing workshops planned. Watch out for crafty children’s birthday parties, adult courses and language exchanges.
There’s a strong emphasis on local produce from the Axarquia but not to the detriment of quality – so you’ll see sherry from Sanlucar, beer from Barcelona (Estrella Damm – the oldest manufacturer in Spain) and craft beers from the UK (Brewdog), amongst other manufacturers.
The opening times are still settling down, but as a rule of thumb they’re as follows:
- Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday: 1200-1900 (except the cafe which will open at 0730, and the cake shop which will open at 0800).
- Thursday, Friday and Saturday: 1200-0000 (except the cafe which will open from 0730-1900 and the cake shop which will open from 0800-1900)
- Restaurants and tapas bars are closed on Tuesdays.
There’s parking directly underneath the market – accessed from Calle Arroyo San Sebastian. It’s open:
- Monday-Wednesday: 7.00 – 22.00hrs
- Thursday-Friday: 7.00 – 00.00hrs
- Saturday: 9.00 – 00.00hrs
- Sunday: 9.00 – 19.00hrs
⭐⭐⭐ Please let us know what you think, click the “create your own review” button. ⭐⭐⭐