BBC News – World BBC News – World
- Covid-19 deaths pass three million worldwideon 17th April 2021 at 2:16 pm
It comes as the World Health Organization warns of deaths and cases increasing at a “worrying rate”.
- Philippines: Giant clam shells worth $25m seized in raidon 17th April 2021 at 8:50 am
The 200-tonne seizure is one of the largest ever hauls of the endangered species.
- Biden backtracks on keeping Trump cap on refugeeson 17th April 2021 at 6:51 am
A refugee organisation says the White House’s explanation of the order is “completely false”.
- Brazil ‘needs $10bn to reach zero emissions’ says ministeron 17th April 2021 at 3:04 am
Brazil is also seeking aid from the US in return for protecting the Amazon rainforest.
- Indianapolis FedEx gunman was former employeeon 17th April 2021 at 1:53 am
The gunman began firing as soon as he drove up to FedEx site before killing himself, police say.
- Hijab regulations: Two women’s experienceon 16th April 2021 at 11:23 pm
Nadya and Emna live 12,000 km away from each other but both have been told what they can and can’t wear.
- Nepal fires: ‘We saw huge flames coming towards our garden’on 16th April 2021 at 11:22 pm
This year’s wildfire season in Nepal has been worse than usual with more fires, burning longer.
- Why IS involvement in Mozambique is exaggeratedon 16th April 2021 at 11:21 pm
The militants claiming of a recent attack got publicity but they may not have actually been behind it.
- On the front line in eastern Ukraineon 16th April 2021 at 11:21 pm
The BBC’s Jonah Fisher reports from the front line between soldiers and separatists.
- India’s Kumbh festival attracts big crowds amid devastating second Covid waveon 16th April 2021 at 11:15 pm
‘I left everything to God’, says one devotee who attended the festival amid a devastating second wave.
- Facebook Oversight Board delays decision about Trump’s possible returnon 16th April 2021 at 11:14 pm
Facebook’s Oversight Board has announced it will announce its decision “in the coming weeks”.
- 20 years in Afghanistan: Was it worth it?on 16th April 2021 at 11:14 pm
The BBC’s Frank Gardner asks the awkward question about a war with an astronomical human cost.
- Sputnik V: How Russia’s Covid vaccine is dividing Europeon 16th April 2021 at 11:12 pm
The vaccine has not yet been approved by Europe’s medicines agency but orders are piling in.
- Nasa chooses SpaceX to build Moon landeron 16th April 2021 at 10:51 pm
SpaceX will build a lander that the US space agency will use to return humans to the Moon this decade.
- Raúl Castro steps down as Cuban Communist Party leaderon 16th April 2021 at 10:20 pm
His resignation ends his family’s six-decade hold on power in Cuba.
- Covid: Canada sounds the alarm as cases overtake USon 16th April 2021 at 9:40 pm
Infections in the largest province could increase sixfold without tougher measures, experts warn.
- Russia retaliates for US diplomatic expulsionson 16th April 2021 at 9:30 pm
Moscow expels 10 diplomats and blacklists eight US officials after the US imposed sanctions.
- In pictures: Raúl Castro’s political lifeon 16th April 2021 at 7:06 pm
Raúl Castro has stepped down as first secretary of Cuba’s Communist Party ending a 60-year career.
- France Mia kidnapping: Four men held over abduction of girl aged 8on 16th April 2021 at 5:17 pm
Mia was taken from her grandmother’s home as part of a plot ordered by her mother, prosecutors say.
- Indianapolis mass shooting: ‘Emotions are very high’ after shooting at FedEx facilityon 16th April 2021 at 10:40 am
A police spokesperson said “emotions are very high” following the late night shooting.
- Jimmy Lai: The Hong Kong billionaire’s last interview as a free manon 16th April 2021 at 8:37 am
Beijing critic Jimmy Lai, owner of Hong Kong’s last opposition newspaper Apple Daily, has been jailed.
- Titanic: Searching for the ‘missing’ Chinese survivorson 16th April 2021 at 6:00 am
When the Titanic sank, six Chinese men were rescued – but their ordeal didn’t end there.
- Rebuilding Notre-Dame cathedral… with 1,000 oak treeson 15th April 2021 at 6:15 pm
Two years since the fire, workers are preparing for the reconstruction phase of the Paris landmark.
- Derek Chauvin says he won’t testify at George Floyd murder trialon 15th April 2021 at 2:51 pm
The defendant and his lawyer say they went “back and forth” before making a final decision last night.