The Independent UK Visit now for the latest news direct from The Independent UK and updated throughout the day
- Boris Johnson urged to end ‘summer of drift’ and draw up cost of living plan with Sunak and Trussby Adam Forrest and Ben Chapman on 8th August 2022 at 6:37 pm
Business group urges PM to meet Tory leadership contenders, while Lib Dems call for energy price cap rise to be ditched
- Royal Mail shake-up could see thousands of households not receive deliveries until after 6pmby Furvah Shah on 8th August 2022 at 6:24 pm
Proposal could mean orders placed late at night arrive next day
- Third of women don’t know how to get abortion in UK, poll showsby Maya Oppenheim on 8th August 2022 at 6:21 pm
Exclusive: ‘We believe that abortion is a basic human right, and that no one should be prosecuted for ending their own pregnancy,’ campaigner says
- Angela Rayner: I’m against us going ‘anywhere near’ a Scottish independence voteby Craig Paton on 8th August 2022 at 6:03 pm
Labour’s deputy leader appeared at an event during the Edinburgh Festival Fringe on Monday.
- Dominic Raab wants to curb judges’ powers over government, leaked document suggestsby Adam Forrest on 8th August 2022 at 5:57 pm
Reported proposals aimed at making it harder to bring successful judicial reviews
- Ryan Giggs trial: Ex Man United player had ‘sinister’ side and ‘headbutted girlfriend he abused’by Joe Middleton on 8th August 2022 at 5:51 pm
Giggs is accused of using controlling and coercive behaviour against Kate Greville and assaulting her – he denies all charges
- People in driest places in England tell of challenges amid rain shortageby Pa Reporters on 8th August 2022 at 5:50 pm
People in some of England’s driest areas have explained how the sweltering weather and a shortage of rainfall is impacting their daily lives.
- Jeremy Clarkson’s Diddly Squat restaurant investigated as presenter ‘uses delightful loophole’ to open itby Zoe Tidman on 8th August 2022 at 5:46 pm
It comes after former Top Gear star announced eatery was open for bookings last month despite previous planning issues
- Boris Johnson news – live: No 10 rejects call for emergency cost of living budgetby Emily Atkinson on 8th August 2022 at 5:34 pm
Mr Johnson’s spokesperson said it would be ‘a future prime minister to decide’ what measures were needed
- Rishi Sunak campaign video criticised as ‘pointless posturing’ and mocked onlineby Ben Hatton on 8th August 2022 at 5:26 pm
The candidate to be the next prime minister said he wanted to ‘keep Brexit safe’.
- Ryan Giggs’ private life ‘involved a litany of abuse’, court toldby Kim Pilling on 8th August 2022 at 5:26 pm
Prosecutors said the ex-footballer, who denies the charges, had a ‘much uglier and more sinister’ side to his character.
- Queen’s official welcome to Balmoral to be held in privateby Tony Jones on 8th August 2022 at 5:22 pm
The Queen has faced episodic mobility issues since last autumn.
- In Pictures: Drought takes its toll on countryside as England changes colourby Pa on 8th August 2022 at 5:14 pm
England has taken on a different hue with infrequent rain causing parched landscapes.
- ‘Four-year-old girl’ killed in house collapse following gas explosionby Isobel Frodsham on 8th August 2022 at 5:08 pm
The Metropolitan Police said detectives believe the child who died in the incident was a four-year-old girl.
- Don’t Pay: Charity warning over energy bill campaign as 90,000 threaten to scrap direct debitsby Thomas Kingsley on 8th August 2022 at 5:05 pm
Suppliers could use debt collection agencies to retrieve missed or late payments, charities warn
- Nicola Sturgeon calls for urgent meeting with PM over cost-of-living crisisby Craig Paton on 8th August 2022 at 4:55 pm
A meeting of the devolved administrations is due next month but the First Minister has called for it to be brought forward.
- About 50 properties damaged after flooding in north Londonby Isobel Frodsham on 8th August 2022 at 4:41 pm
Emergency services were called to the scene in Islington.
- Water companies issue warnings to customers amid drought concernsby Kara Kennedy on 8th August 2022 at 4:40 pm
The National Drought Group moved England into ‘Prolonged Dry Weather’ status.
- Mother dies on plane in front of her children as she flew home to UK after 15 years overseasby Thomas Kingsley on 8th August 2022 at 4:36 pm
‘The grief we feel is paralysing,’ a friend of the mother of two said
- Terrorist kept in prison because Home Office plan to deport him causes ‘risk to public’by Lizzie Dearden on 8th August 2022 at 4:28 pm
Parole Board says it ‘must consider the risk to the public, whether they are in the United Kingdom or elsewhere’
- Much of UK to see heatwave conditions as hot and dry weather continuesby Emily Beament on 8th August 2022 at 3:57 pm
Warnings over lighting fires have been issued in the heat, while households are facing hosepipe bans to limit water use after dry weather.
- Show gardens ‘prioritising which plants to look after’ during dry spellby Ewan Somerville on 8th August 2022 at 3:56 pm
Kew is ‘avoiding excessively using sprinklers during the day’ to reduce evaporation rates.
- Kate Forbes announces birth of baby daughterby Hannah Carmichael on 8th August 2022 at 3:50 pm
Naomi MacLennan was delivered at Raigmore Hospital in Inverness on Thursday August 4, weighing seven pounds 13 ounces.
- Pensioner on trial over death of baby in pram ‘had undiagnosed Alzheimer’s’by Sam Russell on 8th August 2022 at 3:26 pm
Shelagh Robertson, 75, was driving home from Tesco when she turned into the path of an oncoming van, forcing it on to the pavement.
- Holiday rep refused medical help for head injury, inquest toldby Tess de La Mare on 8th August 2022 at 3:24 pm
Kayleigh Harris was working in the French Alps when a skier collided with her.
- Queen continues to rule TV ratings chart despite Euro 2022 finalby Ian Jones on 8th August 2022 at 3:24 pm
The top three biggest TV audiences of the year so far are all for live events.
- Woman faces six-hour round trip to the dentist amid crippling NHS shortageby Holly Bancroft on 8th August 2022 at 3:21 pm
Another person struggling to find dentistry has had to ‘file down their teeth with a metal nail file’
- Rio Ferdinand unaware of ‘fixated’ fan’s ‘monkey gesture’, court toldby Richard Vernalls on 8th August 2022 at 3:06 pm
Jamie Arnold has denied racially abusing the former England and Manchester United player at a match in 2021.
- Football idol Ryan Giggs had ‘uglier and more sinister side’, court toldby Kim Pilling on 8th August 2022 at 3:04 pm
The former Manchester United player is accused of controlling and coercive towards ex-girlfriend Kate Greville and causing her actual bodily harm.
- National Lottery appeal for £7.4m jackpot winner as huge prize goes unclaimedby Furvah Shah on 8th August 2022 at 3:00 pm
Winner has until December to claim prize